Monday, February 22, 2010

Alfredo's new ride

2-21

A fun day for us

Today I went with Israel, a friend, on a special mission. I went to look at a scooter. Our caretaker, Alfredo has an old scooter that is falling apart. His son calls it the Fred Flintstone scooter. I had been asking around and saw Israel riding one the other day. He stopped to say hello and I asked him about scooters in general and prices. He knew a guy that had won a scooter in a lottery and wanted to sell it. We went and looked at it today at his carwash / taco stand near the Comercial. It is brand new and only had 7 kilometers on the odometer. I made a deal on it for a lot less than the original price. I saw the receipts for the original purchase. Gave him what I thought I would get it for and rode it home. I could have had a free goat meat taco as part of the deal also. I of course had to do a little quality control test drive and it worked great.

We hung around here most of the day not wanting to do much more than swim in the pool and read. Alfredo showed up around 7:30 this evening. Sunday is his only day off during the week. When he showed up I handed him the keys and said no more Fred Flintstone scooter! He couldn’t believe what he was seeing and what he was hearing. I told him to ride it home and show Lupita. He came back about 45 minutes later with a big smile on his face, plus it makes it up the driveway. The other one wouldn’t make it anymore.

It was worth every penny to see his face. He is turning 55 in a couple of weeks and works two jobs, construction during the day and caretaker night watchman here at night. I’m sure his coworkers up the hill on his construction job will be doing some chop busting when they see his new scooter. I bet he handles it with a big smile. At this point I am wondering if his smile or the smiles on Judy and my faces is bigger.

Our plan this morning is to head over to Los Gatos beach for the day. We can walk over there along the shore line just down the street from us, haven’t been there yet this year.

I don't know who was happier, Judy and I, or Alfredo. I think Alfredo will edge us out.


The two photos below appear to be a new feature on the blog. Bug of the Day. I took these this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment