Tuesday, March 3, 2009

2-28
It is a beautiful night in Zihuatanejo. It is quiet, and we are heading to bed soon. Camille will be heading home tomorrow afternoon leaving Judy and I alone for our last week. We are officially at 1 week left to go. We will accomplish a few things this coming week that we promised ourselves we would do. We got the Dentist out of the way, so it will only be fun stuff.
Our friend Eric, the jeweler from the beach, brought his wife and kids over today to the house. They are kind of an adopted family for us. We have helped them with school inscription fees, and other school supplies the last couple of years. Judy and I decided a couple of years ago to help them with school rather than try to find a school to donate to. We at least know who we are helping, and the real cost is nothing in the big picture. We don’t talk about it much, it is just something that we do for a young hard working family down here. The kids had a great time in the pool today, and we had lunch at the house while Eric made the rounds on the beach selling his silver. It sounds like it was a good day for him, partly due to the fact that there was a cruise ship in. He caught a few people off of the boat on La Ropa today.
I am heading for another Sunday hike with my friend Mike in the morning. There might be a couple of others joining us also. Judy is one, and our friend Katie. We are going to walk the new road heading toward the southeast.
While the kids were here, our friend Bernardo, came by to sell goat string cheese. It is one of my basic staples down here. He comes around to the beach on Saturday and hits a few locations that he knows his customers might be located. He came to the house one day while I was gone. He recognized my hat and asked where I was. Today he was half way back down the driveway, when he stopped and came back asking if he could get a picture of me and him. Alfredo and his son, Christian were standing there, so he asked if he could have a picture of the two of us. Before he would take the picture, he asked if he could get it with the two of us. He whipped out his camera, and asked if I could go get my panama hat first. I got a picture of the two of us together.
I’m not used to Mexicans asking to have a picture with me. I guess that I am still a little humbled by him asking. Usually it is the “Gringos” asking to take the pictures of the locals. He is a very nice man, and his teenage children help out at the Mercado on the weekends. I was honored.
Alfredo came up for a beer this evening after he arrived back for the evening. He told us that his youngest son, Christian, is heading to the Mexican Army to be a pilot. He is a very nice young man. He was here working for Alfredo moving some sand for landscaping work. We both agreed that it was a good thing for Christian, and working on the end of the shovel moving sand, was a good reminder that the Army would be a good thing.
3-2
The internet appears to be down in the La Ropa area. I am seeing some of the wireless routers, but no internet connections. The router that I have been using since we have been here is not even showing up. I can’t believe that “Jacque” could be so inconsiderate to shut off his router. Hopefully it is only off due to the server problems.
We are talking about heading to Los Gatos this morning to spend most of the day over there. It is one of the 4 main beaches on Zihuatanejo Bay. It is lined with beach restaurants where you can spend the day. I think it has been close to 8 years since I have been over there.
I went for my Sunday morning hike with Mike and some other friends yesterday. We explored another part of the roads they are pushing in to the south of us. We made a big loop because we found the roads connect. We have now seen almost all of the development roads going in. It will be interesting to see what they are like next year.
3-3
Our trip to Los Gatos was great. We walked over along the shoreline. There is sort of a trail along the rocks. You have to pick your way along, but it was fine. We hadn’t been over there for a few years, and we’re pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. The water is shallow and very warm and clean. We had a nice lunch and had our own lounge chairs and umbrella. We headed back about 3:30 and then to dinner at some friends place down the road. There were about 15 people there. Jim made chili.
Today I am getting ready to head down the street to get an internet connection. I really think that it was inconsiderate of Jacque to leave before us. He was one of the French Canadians in the trailer park across the road from us. He was putting out an unsecured wifi signal that we have used for the last 7 weeks. Now I have to walk down the street to get connected again. I will send out this blog entry and probably one or two more short ones before we leave.Warren
Judy and the kids in the pool last Saturday. It was a wild day for us.


Our friend Bernardo. He sells string cheese in the Mercado, and comes around to the beach on Saturday to sell. He wanted to have his picture taken with me.





No comments:

Post a Comment